Friday 1 May 2015

Cogito Ergo Sum.

Getting back to the topic we were discussing before I was struck by the sudden urge to write a story (which resulted in a full blown geek-out) on my favourite comic book character, we were talking about human identity.
Do we exist? Are we real? Do we have an actual identity with which to define ourselves?
These questions are rather quaintly ignored by common plebeians, leaving much to be thought of by philosophers and thinkers alike. It is due to this tragic scenario that I have decided to take it up on myself to educate people like yourself (yes, you, reader) on these mildly interesting topics that I've taken the liberty of writing on, because frankly, I was bored.
Coming back, we live our lives on a daily basis with the underlying assumption that we EXIST. We live and breathe with a predetermined mindset that we are here for a purpose.
What if that was all wrong? What if our world was a figment of someone's (or something's) imagination? Matrix shit right there. I know.
This is exactly the gist of an idea put forward by another famous philosopher, Rene Descartes.
In a thesis he once published, he said "Cogito ergo sum" or "I think, there I am."
This means that we merely perceive the illusion of existence, because of a highly deceptive device we all have, called 'free will'. Now, the free will theory states that any individual, just because he has the ability to supposedly choose what he wants, exists because of his quality to differentiate between good and bad choices. To put this more in perspective, you might've clicked this link because you felt so. Or did you? Did you really make your own decision in that situation or did any other element have a part to play? The hand of God, perhaps?
This idea also plays an important role in the foundation of other contemporary philosophical principles. The knowledge I possess right now can only be admissible if I exist. And right now, I think I do. I think, and therefore I am.
(Or I might be in one of those stasis cells from the Matrix, surrounded by amniotic fluids and basic goo, while the machines are harvesting each of us to provide energy for themselves. Just a thought.)

Note to reader : This whole passage was written at 4 in the morning, when I was extremely sleepy, and tired as eff. The only thing that made me write it was the obligation to provide a follow up to my previous post on ontology and also because I was lacking in ideas. So please, if you find any theoretical errors on the subject, please comment below. Thanks for reading this boring post. Yo.

No comments:

Post a Comment